Glazed Ice Cream Petit Fours with Brown Butter Cake



Hello all! I am back in the States and loving it. Mexico was great and lovely, but it is nice to speaka the old English again! Miss my students and my families, but it is great to see so many old friends.

This is my August Daring Bakers challenge! The Daring Bakers is an online sort of baking club, and every month they issue a challenge. It has been rather difficult for me so far, because the challenges are, well, challenging! Even this month, there were some pretty frustrated moments in the kitchen. I seem to recall swearing and throwing a butter dish (plastic, don't worry). And they still don't look quite right. And I'm late to post because I seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take to freeze (and refreeze after adjusting) homemade ice cream.

Nevertheless, the taste is delicious. The brown butter cake tastes like a perfect caramel pound cake, and in the ice cream I used rum flavoring rather than vanilla so that added a particular richness. The chocolate coating is semi-sweet and vury vury good.

The August 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Elissa of 17 and Baking. For the first time, The Daring Bakers partnered with Sugar High Fridays for a co-event and Elissa was the gracious hostess of both. Using the theme of beurre noisette, or browned butter, Elissa chose to challenge Daring Bakers to make a pound cake to be used in either a Baked Alaska or in Ice Cream Petit Fours. The sources for Elissa’s challenge were Gourmet magazine and David Lebovitz’s “The Perfect Scoop”.

I look forward to next month's challenge! Which will hopefully not involve anything FROZEN.







5 comments:

Vee said...

i'm going in sugar shock just by looking at this.
looks yummers!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Mine turned about a "bit tall" too, even after I trimmed the ice cream. Oh well, they were tasty weren't they! Good job!

Cakebrain said...

good for you for even attempting those DB challenges! I would never be able to follow through with it on time what with work and life! I think the petit fours sound delicious! I like that cross-section shot!

Christina said...

very nice job on the challenge :) They look yummy!

Sondra said...

I miss ya'll SO much! I'm glad that you are in the kitchen again! I love pound cake...and ice cream. Yum!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3