Warm n' Creamy Tapioca Pudding



This week I had my first dream about the baby. I dreamed I was standing with it in a bakery, looking at all the delicious baked goods and picking out the ones I wanted. But I only had so much money, and I kept reminding myself I needed to get something for the baby to eat too. But I resented that baby, because I wanted to spend that money on myself and buy extra cookies for ME.



I'm gonna be a fantastic mother.



Here is a recipe for homemade tapioca pudding. What could be more comforting?



If anyone out there is wondering what tapioca actually is, it's little starchy balls made from the cassava (or yucca) root. Its hard and white when uncooked, like little pasta almost, but gets all gooey and delicious when cooked. You can find it in the baking section at most grocery stores.



Lots of cultures (American and African, mostly) have depended on cassava as a food staple, cooked, mashed, and shoveled in like any proper starch.



When Europeans discovered it, right away they popped it into a pudding. And I have to say, on this at least, well done, ancestors.



This recipe is very simple, but the taste is wonderfully warm and complex, and very different from the store bought stuff. Bring your stirring arm though.



Warm n' Creamy Tapioca Pudding (borrowed from Simply Recipes)

1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
3 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Combine tapioca, milk, and salt in 1 1/2 quart pan on medium high heat. Stir until boiling. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly to equalize the temperature of the two mixtures (to avoid curdling).

Return eggs to pan with tapioca. Slowly bring mixture barely to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and stir several minutes at a low simmer, stirring constantly until you get a nice thick pudding consistency. Cool 15 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve either warm or chilled (I like it warm).

Serves 4-6.

4 comments:

Vee said...

I never make tapioca, but i sure do loves me the textures. Wish you were here to make it for me.

jeannesioux said...

I will have to try your recipe.
I had a hard time getting it right, the last time I tried tapioca.
Grandma Fletcher used to love Tapioca Pudding.

amlamonte said...

v i would totally make this for you any time. i love the texture too it's my favorite part! good luck jeanne! it is hard to get that texture right, it takes a LOT of stirring.

Anonymous said...

I just made your tapioca pudding recipe for father's day. I only had 1% milk so I used that instead of whole milk, and it still turned out wonderfully!