Blackened Orange Miso Salmon


About three months ago I bought myself a tub of red miso.

I know very little about miso, and Japanese cuisine in general. At least cooking it - I'm always very, very happy to eat it.

But I bought my little tub because I'd just tried miso soup, and I thought, this is delicious! I am going to make my own.

Well, it turns out it takes more than a tub of miso and some boiling water with grated carrots in it to make a good soup.


But let's not talk about bad soup. That's not what this post is about. Let's talk about good fish.

Because this was VERY good fish. See that blackened, charred part?

I love that part.

See the skin on the end? I don't always eat the skin, although I know some do. But I like to leave it on because it adds flavor to the fish while cooking. And it's sparkly.


See the orange? See the chives? See the chili powder (look close for that one)?

Imagine all of that, plus miso.

Yum.

Still on the lookout for non-soup uses for miso (or maybe a really good recipe for the soup, but it has to be a good one, not like the last one I tried). Very open to any suggestions (except bad soup ones).


But until then, it's just another excuse to blacken my very favorite fish. Nothing to complain about in that.

Blackened Orange Miso Salmon (adapted from Spicie Foodie)

2 salmon steaks
6 T fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 t granulated garlic
1/2 t ground ginger
1 t rice vinegar or lemon juice
1 T red miso paste
1 T honey
vegetable oil
chives and red pepper flakes to garnish
slices of orange to garnish

In a bowl combine the fresh orange juice, garlic, ginger, vinegar, miso paste and honey. Stir until the miso paste has broken apart and the ingredients become a thick liquid. Remove any pith left on the orange skin and cut into even sized pieces, place in bowl with the marinade. Place the salmon steaks in a non-pourus container. Pour the marinade over the steaks, cover and refrigerate a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight if you like (overnight is better, but you have to plan ahead!).

The next day or after 30 minutes drain any remaining marinade and discard. The salmon steaks can be grilled, broiled, fried on a flat top grill or fried in a skillet. I fried mine with just a little bit of olive oil, about 3 minutes on each side on medium high heat for the blackened look.

Serve each steak with a slice of fresh orange on top, fresh chopped chives and pepper flakes or chile powder sprinkled over.

Yum!

4 comments:

Cakebrain said...

Yummo! I love the blackened looking bits the most! I've only made cod and miso, but salmon sounds great too! I like the colours in your pics!

jeannesioux said...

Love those photos. So colorful. Almost look likes an abstract painting!

Dreams of cakes said...

Salmon is a must! Your recipe looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

I'm glad you liked my recipe :) Also love the blackened steaks you switched for the medallions. It's what I had hope to have when I made it, hehe.

Hope you are well and wondering if the baby arrived yet?