Black Oatmeal Cookies

 
So what have I been up to, you ask?

It's two years later.  I have two kids now instead of one.  A wizard somehow turned my baby into a little boy, so I made a new one.


I built her myself.

Instead of a faceless internet I've been cooking for an audience of four.  Instead of blogging I've been recording all of my menus on an erasable chalkboard shaped like a pig.

 
Revere the pig.

For a while it was nice not to take photos of everything - it's a time suck!


But I miss talking about food.  I mean, pontificating on FOOD, you know?

What's good (harissa), what's bad (chicken), what are you eating (tacos), what do you eat in September (apple crisp) and what do you eat in March (spinach and dandelion green soup).


I missed this.

There is nothing inherently autumnal about oatmeal cookies, but I crave them every fall just the same.


You can't go wrong with a classic, but I still wanted to do something to liven them up.  These are my black beauties.  Black raisins, black chocolate chips, black walnuts and blackstrap molasses.

Do you love a touch of bitter in your sweet?  So do I.


Load 'em up, lovelies.  Heave ho here we go.

Black Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from www.allrecipes.com
makes 3 dozen

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 cups thick-cut oats (regular are fine too but thick cut are...thicker...)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening (you can do all butter, your cookies might be slightly flatter however)
2 eggs
5 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark raisins

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

In a large bowl, stir together flours, oats, soda, powder and salt.  Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the sugar with the butter and shortening until creamed together, about 3 minutes.  Mix in beaten eggs, molasses, and vanilla.  Gradually mix in the dry ingredients.  Stir in walnuts, raisins, and chocolate chips.  Dough will be sticky.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased/silpatted cookie sheet (or into mouth).

Bake for 6 minutes for soft cookies (how I like it) or ten minutes for crispier.  Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack before consuming.  I GUESS.

6 comments:

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Ana! Welcome back to blogging! And congratulations on the new addition to your family!!! You must have been very busy with a little one. The oatmeal cookies look so good...and I like your pig blackboard too. ;)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Oops, I just saw my typo missnig one "n"!...sorry Anna!

jeannesioux said...

Anna, you're awesome. I am so glad that you are back doing these posts. I love your writing as much as your recipes!!!

amlamonte said...

thanks jeanne! i so appreciate you coming here and leaving your comments. love your thoughts :)

amlamonte said...

it's so good to see you again, nami! headed to your blog right now to see what you are up to!

Ana Regalado said...

Hi Anna , glad you're still alive and kicking :D The new family member looks absolutely gorgeous and your cutie boy is all grown up now , time really flies so fast . Oh , the cookies ! Any leftover ?! lol