Cherry Pudding


Well, I'm back from my trip home. And to be honest, I'm a little sad.


Some people reading this undoubtedly know that some time last September, I moved from my home state of Utah to the greener grasses of Oregon. And if you know that already, you may also know that I haven't stopped complaining about it since.


It isn't that Oregon is awful. In fact it is beautiful. I don't understand why the Northwest isn't completely overrun. It's got to be one of the best kept secrets of the lower forty eight. And Utah? It has its problems, and let's just leave it at that.


But screw objective evaluations, I'm sappy. And I miss my mom (I'm twenty-six, if anyone is wondering). And when you get to go home for a vacation, and see all your friends from elementary school through college, it's great.


And when you have to come back, it can sometimes blow.


Sigh.


Well, enough out of me. Before I get all Debbie Downer on you, let me show you this pudding I made.


I don't know about you, but when I hear the word pudding I think of warm, gloppy goodness, possibly full of tapioca pearls (also known as frog eyes, at least where I grew up). But this is an English-style (or Southern, I guess) pudding, which is code for a cake. A cake that isn't too sweet, that is sticky and a little heavy. And when it's done you pour warm milk all over it. This makes it gooshy and yummy, and just about as soft as that tapioca glop I was talking about before.


Cherries for seasonal (a little too early to use any but frozen though, at least where I'm at) and brown sugar for warmth.


It's comforting to those of us who find ourselves away from home. Or at least, in a place that is not quite home. Not yet.


Sometime, maybe.

Cherry Pudding (from Sara Moulton, on the Food Network website)

2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups seeded fresh or very well drained frozen or canned cherries
Warm milk, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8-inch square-baking pan (I used a loaf pan, it worked out fine).

Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

Add milk, shortening, egg, and vanilla; stir just until combined.

Fold in cherries and pour into greased pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed.

Cool 15 minutes. Cut into 6 rectangles and serve warm from pan with warm milk to pour over it, if desired.

4 comments:

Cakebrain said...

Poor you...missing your mom! You bet the NorthWest is a cool place to live! I really need to visit Oregon one of these days...I hear it's lovely! Cherries make me think of summer...and I'm sure Oregon has great cherries!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm another one who has never visited Oregon. I really want to. But I hear, ya -- for me, Utah is simply home. Even my beloved Texas and New Mexico must play second fiddle to the Beehive State.

jeannesioux said...

It is interesting reading your blog here, as I did experience what you are talking about. Words of advice. Call your mom each and every week. Get out and do as many interesting things as you can with your husband. Serve others. Fill your life with as much nature as you can...that is if you are a nature girl like me. Be grateful for the little things. Ok that is enough jabbering from mother-in-law.

Honestly Anna, we miss you. It was so good to see you and Justin, your mother, and everyone else at the wedding, reception and activities. Your mothers home is a safe haven. My mother's was as well. Now it is our turn to do the same, right? And with the smells of all of this good food, it has got to be a wonderful place to be. Pretty soon, it will be filled with a little someone who will truly help to make it an even more special place.

amlamonte said...

thanks for the kind words you guys! it is easier to be back now that i am back into my routine a little bit. i think at first i just had that initial six year old reaction (where am i?? i want my mom!). but it is a beautiful place to live, and it's been spring break and we've been traveling around! so that helps too.

jeanne it was lovely to see you too! thanks for being so kind to me!