Barbecue Bean Tacos



Remember how I'm snobby about some things?  That list includes maple syrup (must be real) and...wait I can't think of any more.

Okay I just asked my husband and he started listing things (cheese, bread, chocolate, butter, olive oil, etc) until I stopped him.  I didn't know I was that bad.  I guess I have become insufferable.

Oh well.  At least I eat good food.



Anyway, anyway, one of the things I am definitely snobby about is Mexican food.  This is what I'm getting at.  THANKS HONEY.

Because I was lucky enough to spend a few summers in Mexico teaching the old English (not like, ye olde Englishe, you know what I mean), and I got to taste the real stuff, how it's really done.  You know like the big bell of meat, fire-roasted on the street and cut to order, with the grilled pineapple stuck on top of it, slowly drizzling its juices into the meat as it cooks.  Then both chopped and put, piping hot, onto a fresh corn tortilla, topped with biting onion and cilantro, and drizzled with hot, hot, hot salsa.  That sort of thing.

Well, these aren't those kinds of tacos.  These...these are American tacos.



Know what that means?

I'll just tell you.

It means there's sugar in them.



We loves our sugar.  But guess what.  In this recipe?  Ain't nothing wrong with that (and actually, in this recipe, the sugar takes the form of maple syrup.  Double win!).

I didn't actually catch on until halfway through this recipe that I was making a homemade barbecue sauce.  Neat!

And there is coleslaw, for color and crunch.  Cabbage is one of my favs.



And grape tomatoes.  I don't usually spring for the tiny 'matoes, but it's worth it here for that lovely, bursting texture you get next to crunchy coleslaw and soft, sweet beans.

And avocado!  A little nod to the real stuff, after all.

In short, while I still miss, and will always miss, the street food we bought in Mexico, I have to hand it to us  Norteamericanos.  We occasionally come through.  Especially if we're allowed to add sugar.

Barbecue Bean Tacos (original recipe from Cheeky Kitchen)

1 T olive oil
2 yellow squash, cut into long "stalks"
1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning (found in most grocery store Mexican sections, otherwise Lowry salt serves the purpose)
1 can pinto beans, drained
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons beer mustard
3 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 cup purple cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, diced
8 soft white corn tortillas, warmed
Limes for garnish

Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss the cut squash into your hot pan, season generously with GOYA Adobo seasoning and allow to cook until the squash is very soft. Set aside.

In a small pan, combine the beans, ketchup, mustard, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

While your beans are cooking, toss the cabbage, remaining vinegar, remaining maple syrup, mayonnaise, and cilantro together until the cabbage is well coated.

Mix the tomatoes and avocado together.

Serve the beans and grilled squash in the tortillas, topped with slaw and avocado-tomato salad. A squeeze of fresh lime juice finishes it off to perfection. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These tacos look so delicious - a fantastic idea to use barbecue beans if I have ever seen one :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

LynnieBee said...

OMG, I want Mexican food so badly right now ;)

Ana Regalado said...

Ha ! Maple syrup is soooo expensive ! :P :D I know I know you'll say I miss half of my life if I told you I haven't eaten tacos or enchiladas yet pffftttt lol But for now , I'll just look at your photos and drool ! :D

Gintare @Gourmantine said...

Having read your post I'm not ashamed to say that I'm hungry for a second dinner :) just Mexican food this time!

amlamonte said...

oh anne i know it's so expensive! and i think it's going to go up soon i hear it's been a bad year for the sugar maples in vermont. sigh! oh well i'll just have to do without and survive with jam.