Edamame, Coconut, and Avocado over Rice



When I was little, I never liked my food to touch.  Remember those little divided plates they made in the 80s and early 90s?  I loved those.

It bothered me a lot.  That, combined with my ritualized approach to eating certain foods, actually worried my parents.   At one point they discussed whether something might be, you know.  Up.



It isn't my fault if no one else can see that my way of consuming toast is the most logical and efficient!

Anyway.  Despite my awe-inspiring methods of toast-consumption (if you only knew), I've since performed a complete U-turn.



Little pleases me more now than a large and varied pile of food.  A mixture of tastes, textures, and colors all coming together.

I guess that is what a salad is.



And this salad has, just, everything you want.

Green, crunchy stuff for healthy.  Yellow, smooshy stuff for protein.  White, carby stuff for filling.  All tied together with a red onion for a sweet bite, and a salty-sweet, Asian-inspired dressing.



Joy the Baker invented it.  I expanded upon it (Joy's is more of a ladylike salad...mine more of a trough-filling hillock of nutrients).

I want you to have it.

Edamame, Coconut, and Avocado over Rice

4 c cooked rice (white or brown, as you prefer)
2 ripe avocados, sliced in half and pits removed
1 1/2 cups shelled edamame
1/2 cup coconut (Joy calls for unsweetened and toasted, but I only had sweetened and un-toasted on hand and it tasted just dandy)
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons chopped nori (optional)
4 eggs cooked how you like (or however many you are hungry for; husby likes them scrambled but I like them runny, so we did both!)
 
For the dressing:
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
a few tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Put eggs on to cook to your preference.

In a medium bowl, toss together all of the ingredients for the filling.

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, sesame oil, soy sauce, and lemon juice.  Whisk in olive oil in a slow stream to emulsify.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the dressing over the filling.  Toss to combine.  Spoon the filling into halved avocado.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place over rice.  Top with eggs and serve.

5 comments:

Ana Regalado said...

I could eat this pile of goodness everyday ! Just love all these awesome texture and flavor ! I guess I'm one of those people who enjoys piling everything in one plate even if it's not a salad ! lol

Cakebrain said...

gee, this looks awesome! I'm a big salad lover! I too loved my food divided. I love airplane food for that very reason. T.V. dinners were a treat in the 70's. That's one yummy looking avocado...I think you've inspired me to go out and get me some now!

Nancy said...

It really does have everything. I hope your parents can see nothing was "up" and that you are just fine with your food touching.

Your baby is so big :)

amlamonte said...

nice to see you cakebrain! airplane food, while usually digusting to eat, is so satisfying to my inner ocd as i annihilate one little pocket of food at a time...

LynnieBee said...

OOOH NOM!!!!