Maryland Lump Crab Imperial

 And now for something completely different.

Fish!

Well, crab at any rate.

Well, fake crab at any rate.


I couldn't find the real stuff!  Do they just not sell it anymore?   Here, in the mecca of all things seafood?

Come on Eugene!

Anyway.  I don't make with the sea bugs very often, but I do have a soft spot for crab.


Well, fake crab.

This has a mild, herbal flavor with a tang from the mayonnaise.  It was delicious spread on a slice of fresh sourdough bread.

Vacation was the best, thanks for asking.  I went home, and now I'm home again, and I'm totally homesick for home.

But I was also homesick while I was on my vacation at home.

Got it?  Me neither.

Maryland Lump Crab Imperial (adapted from Chef Dennis over at the Mount)

1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat (or lump)
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp old bay
1 tsp finely chopped Italian parsley
1 large egg lightly beaten
squeeze of lemon juice
Mix mayonnaise, egg, sugar, old bay and parsley together and blend well, this is your imperial sauce.
Gently fold crabmeat into imperial sauce, being careful not to break up crab meat.
Place portions in baking dish using ramekins or small casserole dishes.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes (top will turn golden brown)
Allow to cool just a few minutes before serving, it will set and be more flavorful as it cools slightly.

6 comments:

Ana Regalado said...

I love crab sticks ! I haven't eaten it for quiet sometime though :P No , wait , I've eaten it few days ago , from my California rolls ! :D

These pots of deliciousness look wonderful ! The flavor combo sounds really good ....

Home vacay sounds great ! lol

jeannesioux said...

What is "old bay"? Well, I looked it up and found this nice little recipe. http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/oldbaymix.htm
This recipe looks really good!

packdad said...

Light and delightsome. We found real crab at Walmart (of all places) along with the Old Bay spice. You may not have any Walmarts in Oregon. We let it cool for 10 min and yum. Also good as cold spread on Triscuits.

More delicious recepies please!

M. @ Stuffed Grapes said...

Mmm, Old Bay! Funny, I just posted about Old Bay this morning. I hadn't seen your post yet because I was behind in my RSS reader. Must be something in the water!

jeannesioux, if you don't have all of those spices on hand and would rather buy it pre-made, you should be able to find Old Bay somewhere as long as you are in the US. It's made by McCormick and is distributed nationwide.

amlamonte said...

very cool, jeanne! i had never used it before, and wondered what it was made of. and nice to see you here too wes! glad you enjoyed it!

amlamonte said...

and thanks for the tip, grapes!