Joy Tea



I like herbs.  I dabble in herbs.

Have you ever dabbled?

I made a cough syrup once.  I THINK it helped, or was it a coincidence?

It smelled great.


I've been making my own hand salves too, maybe I'll get around to posting about that here some time.

It's not so hard.

Pretty little plants, pretty little flowers.  They make me feel happy.

This tea is called Joy Tea by its creator, herbalist Rosemary Gladstar.


Such colors!  Such scents and flavors!

But the true test of an herbal experiment: did it live up to its name?  Did I feel joyful afterwards?

I submit that I did.

My kids drank it too, and for tea without milk and honey that is a big win.


Joy Tea
taken from Rosemary Gladstar

2 parts* chamomile
3 parts lemon balm
1 part hawthorne berries and/or blossoms
2 parts hibiscus flowers
2 parts rose petals (unsprayed)
1/8 part lavender flowers
1/8 part cardamom pods, chopped

This is a sun tea, ie one better made by submersing herbs in cold water and leaving in the sun to steep for a few hours than boiling on the stove.  To prepare place 4 - 6 tablespooons per quart of water in sealable container (mason jars!).  Place in direct sunshine.  Let sit for several hours or overnight. Strain and enjoy cold.

*I used 1/4 cup as my 'part' definition, which made just over 2 cups of tea mix.  Lots of tea!  J'approve.

10 comments:

jeannesioux said...

This looks so good. Ray used to drink herbal tea every morning for breakfast. She has converted me. It clears out your sinuses at the beginning of the day. :)

Unknown said...

This sounds SO good. I love blending teas! On Adagio.com you can blend them for free, then you or others can buy them. You can even write a blurb about it and choose custom cover art for the box it comes in. That's how I make the teas that are offered on my site. It's really fun!

Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen said...

I love the colors in this tea! I've never blended tea, but it sounds like a great way to get it exactly the way you want it. And, this is beautiful!

dedy oktavianus said...

i'm thingking using it for tea smoking ot some crust on fish fillet probably gonna be awesome!!!
Dedy@Dentist Chef

dedy oktavianus said...

i'm thingking using it for tea smoking ot some crust on fish fillet probably gonna be awesome!!!
Dedy@Dentist Chef

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

What a delicious combination of flavours! This is my first time hearing of sun soaked tea too, looks interesting!

amlamonte said...

very cool, jeanne! i trust ray's opinion implicitly...

amlamonte said...

alison that is a really cool service! thanks for letting me know!

amlamonte said...

thanks kristi! originally when i was pouring in the herbs they all layered on top of each other like an extra-textured piece of sand art. it was beautiful! i wish i'd got a picture before i mixed them up...

amlamonte said...

dedy i am 100% flattered to have something of mine considered for use on your sophisticated blog!