Honey Whole Wheat Pound Cake


It has honey in it.  One point for team healthy.

It has whole wheat flour in it.  Two points.

It has eggs.  Eggs are still healthy, right?  They go back and forth.


Uhhh there may be some butter in there somewhere.  I forget.

Conclusion?  This is one healthy cake.

See that pretty honey there?  That is fresh, raw bumblebee juice from local bumblers.


Thanks, farmer's market!

Thanks, bees, for mass producing the sweetest, best, oldest condiment known to man.

Honey, whole wheat, cake. 


I'm not going to say it again.

Honey Whole Wheat Pound Cake (borrowed from the lovely Joy the Baker)

2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tablespoons of butter), at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour the loaf pan and muffin tins.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip the butter, sugar and honey on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Add the vanilla extract.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about one minute after each addition.  Scrape down the bowl as needed.  Add the dry mixture and buttermilk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.  Smooth the top down and bake the cake for about  hour and the muffins for about 20 to 25 minutes.  The cake will be a lovely golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

8 comments:

jeannesioux said...

Anna, this looks wonderful! I love these healthy alternatives. Once you get used to this wholesome goodness, a cake mix seems....well, not real.

Ana Regalado said...

Delicious ! I want some of that bumblebee ! lol Love this slightly :D healthier version of pound cake !

Una Semplice Passione said...

Amazing! The honey looks beautiful with the dark color.

Beth said...

That's as healthy as pound cake could possible get!

And I love local honey too. I've discovered a brand that is truly amazing.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Oh I wish I have your beautiful pound cake with my chai that I'm drinking right now. I just ate banana this morning and missing some good bread like this. Love the honey in it. I can smell the honey fragrance from here... okay I'm just dreaming!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Damn this bread looks thick rich and delicious :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Nancy said...

I love it Anna! You are making me want to go turn on my oven.

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com said...

Delicious bread, and I like that it uses whole wheat. It's making me hungry!